Well hello hello! Welcome back to the blog… today I wanted to share with you my recipe for a solution that I use to clean my makeup brushes.
Obviously, you can go to most beauty stores or even Walmart to buy makeup brush cleaning solutions. I’ve done just that many times. However, I have a ton of brushes, and I usually neglect to clean them until the whole gigantic lot needs to be scrubbed down. This procrastination means that when I do clean my brushes – I use a TON of cleaner during the process. A good makeup brush cleaning solution is not typically cheap. And I’m cheap. And then also there have been times where I didn’t have a backup on hand when I ran out of cleaning solution midway through a brush cleaning session. I improvised a lot and made my own cleaning solution to finish up getting all those brushes clean.
This homemade makeup brush cleaner was really just my backup for an emergency situation when I ran out of store bought cleaning solution until I realized that this homemade solution was cheaper and really performed just as well if not better than the expensive brush cleaning solutions I was buying from Ulta.
It was a light bulb moment that I haven’t turned back from! And so, without further adieu … I give you my go to homemade makeup brush cleaning solution:
To be honest – I never measure when I’m putting this concoction together. I just eyeball it, but I know that if it were me reading this blog post – I’d want some concrete measurements to start out with.
Cleaning Your Brushes:
- Wet the bristles underneath warm water running from the faucet.
- Dip the wet bristles inside your makeup brush cleaning solution
- Swirl the soaked brush around on the surface of a rubber makeup brush cleaning pad. (I use this one)
- Once you see the makeup residue being dislodged from the brush onto the rubber pad, place the brush/rubber pad setup underneath the running water and swirl the brush around until all the makeup residue is washed away and all of the cleaning solution is rinsed from your brush.
- Run your pointer and thumb finger over the brush bristles so that they are laying flat in their intended state. Place the brush on a towel to dry.
Cleaning Your Makeup Sponge:
- After you’ve cleaned all the brushes that you need to, dilute the remaining cleansing solution with water. It’s important that the solution not be thick when you dunk your sponge in it. Why? Well. You’ll be there for ten million years trying to squeeze out all that soap. Trust me.
- So, dip your sponge in the diluted cleaning solution and squeeze and release it several times while it is submerged.
- Take the sponge out of the cleaning solution and hold it under running water while you perform the same squeeze and release motions until the water runs clear of bubbles and soap residue.
There you have it! A makeup brush cleaning solution that I’m sure most of you could whip up without having to leave your home to search for the ingredients! Let me know if you try it!