I love a good wish list, because damn I love things. I am admittedly a little materialistic and gifts are my love language. With that, it’s fitting that I am continually making lists of things I need and want.
Valentine’s Day being next week seems like as good a reason as any to tell you what I’m coveting these days.
Soma Drapesoft Jersey Tulip Sleeveless Nightgown – I sleep in the nude, but I love a good nightgown to wear around the house in the mornings or at night. To be honest, I would head out for errands in this after tossing a denim jacket over it.
HONEY Graphic Tee – I love a good graphic tee and when I saw this one, I knew I wanted it. It’s simple and perfect.
Nickel & Suede Earrings, in Merlot and Black (I wear Large) – I mean, I have a LONG list of these earrings I want for adding to my collection, but Black is definitely next. I find myself needing them with most outfits. I want Merlot too and it’s the earring of the month, meaning it’s on SALE!
Alex and Ani Queeen’s Crown Bangle – I started collecting Alex and Ani when Stuart and I started dating. I haven’t gotten a new one in awhile, and this February exclusive is CALLING ME.
Hope’s Simple Side of Things Dress – I have been obsessed with this dress since Hope’s posted it on Snapchat a couple of weeks ago. Such a perfect dress for Spring.
I could go on and on, but you have to stop somewhere, right?! My Amazon list is also full of amazing items that I would LOVE to have. Ah well, I will get there eventually!
I am a huge fan of first dates – choosing an outfit, getting ready, that nervous first moment when you meet up or are picked up, hopefully great conversation, the awkwardness of whether to hug or kiss. I don’t necessarily enjoy wondering if he will text back, but it’s all part of it.
I haven’t been on a first date (or any date for that matter) in a long time, but I have a lot of experience and am happy to share my expertise.
So what do you need for a first date? There are five essentials I wouldn’t dare go on a date without.
- Your good underwear. Now, I know what you’re thinking. “I don’t do that on the first date.” That’s fine. I don’t either, in theory. But I did once or twice. It happens. The thing is, wearing pretty and well-fitting underwear isn’t just in case you get undressed during your date. Wearing nice and pretty matching underwear that fits like it was made for you boosts your confidence and makes you feel and act sexy. I started wearing Soma Intimates exclusively last year and it changed the way I carry myself, whether I’m out running errands in cutoff shorts, out on a date in a lace dress, or getting naked.
- A Kiss-Proof Lipstick. With any luck, you’ll get a first date kiss. Don’t try to tell me you don’t kiss on the first date. It’s a must. Don’t waste a second date with a bad kisser. Gross. Anyway, I personally feel sexy in confident in a red lip, but don’t want to smear it on my partner’s face (or neck or…. anywhere). Luckily, I’ve been using Lipsense most of this year and that problem is GONE. You can ask my fiance, we are both big fans. It doesn’t transfer to him (or on my glass). You can hit me up on my Facebook group. Our readers get 10% of their first orders!
- Breath Strips. If you’re anything like me, you’re going to eat a nice steak with a garlic butter and your breath may not be amazing when the meal is done. Or maybe you’re just on a date to a hole in the wall bar. Beer breath is no bueno either. No worries – excuse yourself to the restroom while the two of you are waiting for the check. Pop a breath strip in your mouth and by the time you have washed your hands, it will have dissolved and your breath will be kissably fresh!
- A pre-date drink. It doesn’t matter how much I am looking forward to a date or other event – I have ridiculous situational anxiety. I will literally get sick in anticipation of things to come. It’s not necessarily the alcohol that calms me as I do my hair and makeup, it’s the ritual. Sipping on a drink (I tend to do bubbly or wine) while you blend your eyeshadow can really calm your nerves. And well, if you do choose an alcoholic drink, you’re more likely to be yourself and a little more receptive to flirtation. Just don’t go overboard. You certainly don’t want to start a date drunk.
- A friend on SOS duty. Look, you never know when a date is going to be a bust. We should all be ladylike and mature enough to sit through and end a date that is a little awkward and boring, but never “tough out” a date with someone who is disrespectful or makes you truly uncomfortable. You need a game plan. Have a friend you can slip to the bathroom to text, who will text or call you in a few minutes with an emergency. Be prepared with code words in case you should ever feel unsafe. Dating is supposed to be fun, but never take for granted that your date is going to be a good guy.
What are your first date musts? And I need to know, have you ever had to utilize an SOS text?